Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Hate When I Know People are Cheaters

When I was between colleges and I used to get shit-faced every night and post up at Fishbones, a local restaurant with a happening high school reunion night scene, I may have been what some would consider a "cheater." In my defense, I never had the best relationships. I would date people whom I assumed would cheat on me, which I know is bullshit of me to say, but let's face it; I was drunk anyway. But as I travel further into the joy that is adulthood, I realize that far too many people I know cheat on their spouses and I don't like it. And now that I am in a real relationship, and I actually love and respect my future spouse, I am happy to stand on my pedestal and say "if you are cheating on your spouse, you are kind of a piece of shit."

I don't know why this is on my mind right now, but it is, and I honestly feel like it's always on my mind... My future spouse and I have a very real agreement: if you cheat, you're done. Simple. Makes sense. What I am really upset with here is not him cheating on me; it's people I know that are currently cheating. DON'T PUT THAT ON ME. When people cheat and let others in on their secret, not only does a black cloud hang over the cheaters, it looms over the people that know. I don't want to know you are a horrible person. That should be left for me to figure out on my own, based on judgement and assumptions with little to no evidentiary support. I don't want to know that you are immoral and have hurt someone. I don't want to know God has something special planned for you. I want to know nothing about it. But that's not how the world works. I know everything about everyone, and it's too much for me to handle! <wipes tear>

One very REAL example of this involves a local athlete. I don't even know the guy on a personal level. But I know he is good looking and rich and married and cheats. Now, athletes might be bad examples because they more than likely cheat, but when I know without any doubt that they are shitty husbands, I lose respect and can't even look at them the same way. I want to cheer for you, dipshit, and I want to have this picture hanging on my wall of you (and it's hanging there regardless...) but I see you and I hate you. UGH. You suck and now I feel bad for encouraging you to succeed.

Knowing an average person who cheats is of course, worse. So you are my work associate and I like you. And you seem to be happily married and have a wonderful life, and for a time I probably find myself jealous of you. But then I find out you are cheating on your spouse and I confirm it and someone spots you at the park making out and then someone sees you in a conference room doubled up on a chair, and now all I can think to do is send your husband a private facebook message to alert him of your infidelities and I hate you. STOP MAKING ME HATE YOU, CHEATER. The point here is that cheating isn't just hard on the cheater; it's hard on everyone who knows the cheating exists. I do not wish to know you are a cheater. I want to have a peaceful mind. I want to think about non-cheaters.

So a message to all you cheaters out there: GET DIVORCED. You pussies. 

Happy New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment